Help us improve the Equinix Community by completing a quick survey

Discussions

Take the “25th Anniversary” Challenge!

Take the “25th Anniversary” Challenge!

Shannon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Equinix Community!

Today’s the 25th Anniversary of Equinix! We’ve come a long way in the past 25 years, from WiFi to Smartphones to Online Banking, there’s been many inventions that make a big impact on our lives. Let’s hear from you, tell us your favorite!

25thchallenge.png

Here's the new challenge for you:

In the past 25 years, what has been your favorite invention or technology advancement?

Comment below! Photos or YouTube videos highly recommended!

The Award

1. The prize award is a $25 gift code to the Equinix Metal Store.
  2. We’ll award the prize to FIVE random winners!
  3. Winners will be drawn on July 31 and receive the notification/code via Community Private Message by August 1.   

Equinix Anniversary.png

Login to Community and earn the 25th Anniversary Badge!  

Sign into Community this month (June 2023) and you'll see the Anniversary badge added it to your collection of Equinix Community badges 🥇🥈🥉

Replies 3 3

Shannon
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'll go first (but I'm not eligible for the gift code!)

My favorite invention/technology in the past 25 years has been GPS! Last October I took my mom on a road trip around England. We drove North, South, East and West exploring as much of England as we could. I was so thankful for having GPS to guide me around England. My mom was telling me the last time she drove around England, she was having to guess where she was on maps (and she didn't know) so I'm glad I could help guide us day after day to enjoy the sights together. So thank goodness for GPS! 

England.png

stevemar
Community Manager
Community Manager

I think the invention of the smartphone was the biggest leap I've seen in tech (consumer or otherwise).

From a engineering point of view, it's pretty remarkable that we've been able to pack in so much processing power into such a small package. Not to mention, it replaced so many different accessories (music players, cameras, GPS devices, etc) that we were carrying around. Form factor and UI/UX were relatively quickly standardized. And, just about everyone can operate these devices that have the power of instant communication and information retrieval. 

There have been attempts to invent the next smartphone with other wearables, like smartwatches, or even AR/VR to an extent, but nothing has been a slam dunk like the smartphone. I'm happy I got to see how things played out.

DzK_RU_UwAI5o8I.jpg

Jantzen
Community Manager
Community Manager

From dial-up to Starlink.....

We've come a long way since the days of dial-up connections, I'll never forget the sounds of dial-up modems squealing and chirping, eagerly anticipating the joyous words "You've Got Mail!". In my early years on the internet, surfing the web was often a slow, tedious process. Large downloads could take hours or even days, and streaming video was little more than a pipe dream.

Fast forward to today, and the landscape of internet connectivity is dramatically different. Broadband connections have become the norm in many parts of the world and I've got a fiber optic gigabit connection to my home. Today's internet allows for real-time video calls across the globe, streaming of ultra high definition movies, online gaming, near instant downloads, and so much more.

Beyond the increase in speed, the last 25 years have also seen a tremendous expansion in internet availability. One of the most exciting advancements in recent years has been the introduction of low latency satellite internet systems like Starlink. I now use a Starlink system to stay connected even in remote areas. It's a testament to how far we've come and a glimpse into a future where everyone, everywhere, can access the digital world.