Announcements

Help us improve the Equinix Community by completing a quick survey

Discussions

How do I consider connecting my Virtual and Physical Environments using Equinix Network Edge?

How do I consider connecting my Virtual and Physical Environments using Equinix Network Edge?

tvader
Equinix Employee

Reply 1 1

charliemack31
Equinix Employee

It is very common to need to connect your virtual device to your Network Service Provider (NSP), which often involves a physical aspect to the solution.

Connecting customer environments together is as important as connecting to clouds and the Internet for most customers.

As the Equinix Fabric grows, more network service providers and enterprises are joining the platform, offering their products and services. Occasionally, the destinations you need to reach from your virtual device are not present on the Equinix Fabric and an alternative for reaching them is required.

To connect a virtual device to a physical environment, the user needs to access the outside physical world from a device that is deployed on a shared compute node with virtual interfaces. This is usually done with cross connects from one data center or cage space to the next.

For even more information on this topic, check out this page on the docs site: Connect Virtual and Physical Environments (equinix.com)