Cast your vote for the Equinix Community AMA Series! Complete our survey

Discussions

Podcast | Traceroute - Episode 8: When the lights go out

Jantzen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Synopsis

How do we make technology that lasts? In this episode, Grace Ewura-Esi and Shweta Saraf join Producer John Taylor as he talks with two cutting-edge technologists who are trying to extend the life of the hardware infrastructure around us. From a cell phone tower that can be installed on your roof (and repaired just as easily), to a clock that is built to last ten thousand years, we uncover the common threads that run through technology that’s built to last.

Woven in this framework is the story of Sandra Rodriguez, who worked tirelessly to restore civilization—as well as hope itself—to the island of Puerto Rico with the help of the only piece of hardware infrastructure that withstood the powerful forces of Hurricane Maria in 2017.

Let us know your thoughts below!

Reply 1 1

Jantzen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great episode! I found it encouraging to see that there are people out there trying to design things that last 10,000 years. Who knew that metal rubbing together for thousands of years could weld it together? I've always been interested in repairing items and have saved a few pieces of tech from the landfill myself using my mediocre soldering skills. I hope we can move away from designed obsolescence that we seen in many tech products today.