Announcements

Help us improve the Equinix Community by completing a quick survey

Discussions

Blog | What Is a Data Center? What Are Different Types of Data Centers?

Blog | What Is a Data Center? What Are Different Types of Data Centers?

Jantzen
Community Manager
Community Manager

A few points that stood out to me in the What Is a Data Center? What Are Different Types of Data Centers? blog

Are data centers expanding, modernizing or shrinking? According to a recent Network World article, “Companies might not be physically building brand new, centralized data centers, but they are modernizing their existing data center facilities and expanding their data center footprint to edge locations.”

According to a 2022 study, more than half (51%) of IT professionals said they were planning to close all of their on-premises data centers in the next 24 months.

The sixth annual Global Interconnection Index (GXI) 2023, a market study published by Equinix, predicts that: “By 2026, 80% of G2000 companies will be digital leaders, interconnecting with 4+ hyperscale providers and 30+ SaaS/business partners, on average.”

Most enterprise and government data centers cannot meet the high standards of today’s or future sustainability objectives (i.e., carbon neutrality), especially on a global scale.

In 2021 we achieved 95% renewable coverage for our global data center energy consumption, with over 200 sites covered with 100% renewable energy. Companies around the world can drive their business advantage by leveraging Equinix data center sustainability.

There are many different types of data centers

• On-premises data centers
  • Colocation data centers
  • Hyperscale/IaaS data centers
  • Bitcoin and cryptocurrency data centers
  • Core data centers
  • Edge data centers

Are you working to move away from your on-premises data centers? Are you taking advantage of Core and Edge data centers? Let me know your thoughts.

Replies 0 0